is by far the most important preventative maintenance tool a home owner needs to utilize.
Clean up spills
- As a general rule, vacuum traffic areas two to five times per week. This number will depend on your lifestyle (i.e., children, pets, location, etc.)
- This will prevent dirt from settling into the carpet. Walking on dirt and grit that has settled to the base of the fibers causes an abrasive action, which results in the appearance of traffic lanes and worn areas.
immediately, before they become permanent stains.
Have your carpet professionally cleaned by RWR Cleaning & Restoration
on a regular basis.
- Carpet manufacturers recommend professional cleaning at least every 6-18 months depending on the amount of “traffic” in the house. (i.e., kids, pets, shoes, etc.)
- Clean high traffic areas about twice as often as other areas. Call R&S toll-free at (877) 865-6732 to set up your next cleaning appointment.
Apply a Maxim Carpet Protector
each time the carpet is cleaned to keep stains from setting in and the soil from grinding in.
Place walk off mats
or bound remnants
on top of the carpet at high wear areas, such as in front of the sofa or chairs and entry/exit points from your home to absorb soil and moisture.
- Clean mats on a regular basis so they don't become sources of soil themselves. Be sure to check area rugs for colorfastness before placing them on carpet because the color in some rugs may bleed through; some rubber-backed rugs can discolor the carpet below.
Keep your garage floor and driveway clean
by sweeping and pressure spraying to eliminate soil and grease from being tracked inside.Rearrange furniture
to change the flow of traffic through a room to prevent worn traffic areas.
Prevent contact with household chemicals
near your carpet that can permanently discolor your carpet such as bleach, toilet bowl cleaner, acne medicine, plant fertilizer, pesticides, and swimming pool chemicals.Remove your shoes
when you enter your home. Create a space near the common door of your home where family members and guests can place their shoes on arrival.
Reduce periods of direct sunlight
to prevent color fading. Use blinds and shades or window tinting.
Use a powerful upright vacuum with a beater brush
and excellent filtration system for carpets. Be sure to change the disposable bag often to ensure efficient operation.